wool&gathering

Knitting, design, wool and other gatherings….


Leave a comment

Tiles…

Last February I knit this cardigan. I called it “Tiles”. It´s knit in a sport/dk weight alpaca yarn. It came out a bit on the big side, and the shoulders/sleeves looked horrendous! No fit whatsoever!!

I tried felting it in the washing-machine on a light circle. That did´t work, so I gave it another go in the machine – on the same circle – and BAM! Suddenly it was a bit too much felted… Like negative magic. Sigh!

After drying and some heavy blocking it was wearable, but the shoulders still looked odd – so I put it in the back of the closet and forgot about it.

The inspiration for this stranded pattern came from a cardigan (kofte) I saw once (pic 1). A week ago I found the original pattern (pic 2), and it´s called “Norrøn” (the old nordic name for nordic), and I admit the stranded pattern looks a bit Viking´ish. I liked the repeated simplicity in the pattern – and it reminded me of tiles… I made my “Tiles” from copying the stranded pattern from pic 1, and it turns out I´ve got it wrong. The original pattern has two more rows and two more stitches for every pattern repeat – but I don´t mind. I even think my version looks better… I also used this pattern in my Headband #2 (pic 3) from the last post. Suddenly there were too many signs concerning this pattern to let me keep on forgetting about the cardigan in the closet. So I found it and wondered what to do with it to make it ok? -and decided on using the sewing-machine to form the shoulders. It works – it´s not perfect, but it can be worn. …but I still want to make it again – just to get it right!


Leave a comment

Headband #2…

Whilst I was on it…

This one is knit in Mirasol Sulka Legato in Birch (gray) and Twilight (purple). The stranded pattern is Garnudsalg´s single Italian Tweed in Sol (yellow). It´s lined with a thin 100% wool knitted fabric. The raw edges are sewn together using an overlock sewing-machine. Love it! …and best of all; I´m well off in the headband-departement for the next few years!


Leave a comment

Headband…

This started out as a hat, and ended up as a headband…

Skiing in the spring always reminds me that I need a headband …or two… same procedure every year. Yet, I never seem to get around to knit headbands. So I decided the hat on the needles were not a hat, but a headband – much quicker! In fact I finished this so fast that I just had to add some time-consuming finishing at the end. The inside looks almost as good as the outside …IMG_6152IMG_6155IMG_6156It´s knitted in Telespinn´s Mari (mohair) in Gray/blue with Turquoise pattern – and lined with Du Store Alpakka´s Tynn Alpakka (alpaca) in orange and pink on needles 3mm / US 2,5.

I´m ready for more spring skiing!